Alright so it’s finally almost time! With our summer camp starting next week, I wanted to clarify our updated procedures to help things run safely and smoothly this year. The COVID-19 threat has gone down significantly, but it is still our greatest concern. All of our staff, and many parents & family members have been fully vaccinated at this point, however most of our campers are still under the age requirements to recieve a vaccine – therefore we have enacted the following policies to minimize the risk factors & keep our students and families safe:
1. Drop Off / Pick Up:
• Drop Off – 8:45 to 9:15am – NO early drop-off is available at this time; we can attempt to help you coordinate with other parents if you require early drop off.
• All staff/campers must pass a health screening each day to be admitted to camp. Parents/guardians may now enter the dojo at pick-up/drop-off times (see below for mask requirements)
• If you or your camper exhibit symptoms or are sick (with any illness, not just COVID-19), please stay home, and inform us immediately
• Pick up – 4:00 to 4:30pm
• A $5 per 10 minute fee will be charged for late pick-up.
FACEMASKS – Parents/guardians & family members can follow the current NY state guidelines as per mask use, however proof of vaccination will be required for entry without a mask. Unvaccinated AND vaccinated campers will be following similar guidelines as to the local school districts – masks will be required while indoors and while traveling in camp vehicles; there will be no mask requirements for outdoor activities. Parents/guardians – if you prefer your camper(s) wear masks in any non-required setting, please make camp staff aware of this preference so we can enforce accordingly.
2. Camper Equipment – Please ensure your camper brings the following supplies every day:
• Backpack or duffle bag
• Face mask! (Students will not be allowed into camp without one)
• Socks & running shoes
• Bag lunch
• Water bottle
• Sunscreen/bug spray (spray on only, no lotion)
• Karate uniform & fighting gear
• Swim suit & towel (on applicable days)
Please pack everything into 1 bag if possible to help us keep everyone organized!
3. Camper safety:
• Hand sanitizer/washing stations set up in the dojo
• Locker room use will be done in shifts with disinfecting between uses
• Scheduled hand washing breaks between activities
• Mask use is mandatory while indoors, while traveling in camp vehicles, and whenever physical distancing standards cannot be met
• Campers will be provided individual equipment, and shared equipment will be disinfected between uses
• Campers will be placed in static groups for the duration of camp session to minimize contact/crossover
• Campers will be required to wear masks at all times within camp vehicles, and will have assigned seating. Vehicles are to be disinfected between uses
• The dojo facilities are to be disinfected before & after each day of camp
• Restrooms are to be disinfected between uses
• CAMPERS & FAMILY MEMBERS: While your child is enrolled in camp, it is important to continue to practice common sense and follow all safety guidelines. Please be aware that any risks you take outside of camp could directly affect everyone in attendance. We ask that you please follow all health and safety guidelines.
4. Outdoor/Aquatics activities:
• Facemasks will not be required for any outdoor activities
• Campers will NOT be permitted to interact with other people outside of the camp while on public field trips
• Swimming proficiency & any limits/restrictions will be evaluated at the start of camp, and agreed upon between parents/guardians & camp staff
• Camp staff will assist lifeguards in monitoring swim play
• Toys and sports equipment may be shared, with disinfecting between uses by different groups
• Campers/staff will adhere to strict hand hygiene schedule & routine between using shared items
• All staff & campers will be trained in proper social-distancing etiquette while in public spaces, and be required to adhere to said etiquette
5. Rainy day policies:
• In the event of poor weather we will hold camp inside the dojo
• Mask use will be mandatory for campers at all times within the dojo, except when social distancing requirements can be satisfied
• Staff is to disinfect all areas of common use before & after camp, and between activities of high usage
• Campers will be provided individual use items and equipment whenever possible, and shared items will be disinfected between uses
6. Staff policies:
• All camp staff has been fully vaccinated at least 2-weeks prior to camp starting
• Camp staff are required to wear masks at all times while indoors, operating camp vehicles with passengers, and anytime interacting with unvaccinated campers
• Staff must adhere to strict hand hygiene schedule & routine
• Staff undergoes testing before camp begins
• Any parents who wish to chaperone field trips must provide proof of vaccination
Please note that failure to adhere to these policies can result in expulsion from camp. Please go over our policies with your camper(s) before they start camp. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us for clarification!
Thank you for helping us keep our campers safe so they can have an awesome summer at Bushiken Karate Summer Camp 2021!
Sensei Dan Paradies
Assistant Chief Instructor
62 Vineyard Ave.
Highland, NY 12528